An extensive bibliography on shell and plate buckling and vibration was compiled by David Bushnell during 2011. There are so many papers and even books in the shell buckling field that Dr. Bushnell apologizes in advance for missing many of your contributions. At the time this file was initially created (March - August, 2011) there were about 800000 “hits” when the search string, “shell buckling” was entered into “Google search”. Dr. Bushnell has just scratched the surface.
The vast universe of papers on the buckling and vibration of shells is like a fractal: no matter how much the search is narrowed within that universe (for example, “postbuckling composite shells”, “buckling sandwich shells”, “thermal buckling shells”, or Hutchinson buckling shells”), there exists a vast sub-universe with essentially the same creators and characteristics as the entire “shell buckling” universe. One cannot possibly explore these universes and sub-universes completely. The shell buckling universe and its sub-universes may be expanding faster than the cosmos itself.
The Book Cover Gallery includes books on shell buckling, books on buckling of other structures, books on linear and non-linear elasticity, books on plasticity, and books on composite materials. All of these fields are closely related.
If your book is missing, please email a photo of its cover and a brief description of it to . Dr. Bushnell will then include it in the Book Cover Gallery in this bibliography.
- The full bibliography is available in the following formats:
- Abstracts of papers on the buckling of carbon nanotubes:
- Featured Papers:
- Buckling of shells – pitfall for designers, David Bushnell. AIAA Journal, Vol. 19, No. 9, 1981.
- Buckling of thin shells: Recent advances and trends, Jin Guang Teng. Applied Mechanics Review, Vol. 49, No. 4, April 1996.
- Buckling of Laminated Composite Platees and Shell Panels, Arthur W. Leissa. Air Force Wright Aeronautical Laboratories, AFWAL, TR-85-3069, June 1985.
- Cylindrical Shell Buckling: A Characterization of Localization and Periodicity, G. W. Hunt, G. J. Lord and M. A. Peletier. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems, Series B, Vol. 3, No. 4, November 2003.
- The NASA Monographs on Shell Stability Design Recommendations, A Review and Suggested Improvements, Michael P. Nemeth and James H. Starnes, Jr. NASA/TP-1998-206290, January 1998.
- Nanomechanics of Carbon Tubes: Instabilities beyond Linear Response, B. I. Yakobson, C. J. Brabec, and J. Bernholc. Physical Review Letters, Vol 76, No. 14, April 1, 1996.
- Shell Structures - A Sensitive Interrelation between Physics and Numerics, E. Ramm and W.A. Wall. Submitted to: International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 2004.
- Buckling of Thin-Walled Circular Cylinders, V.I. Weingarten, P. Seide and J.P. Peterson. NASA Space Vehicle Design Criteria (Structures), NASA SP-8007, 1965, rev. 1968.
- Buckling of Thin-Walled Truncated Cones, V.I. Weingarten and P. Seide. NASA Space Vehicle Design Criteria (Structures), NASA SP-8019, 1968.
- Buckling of Thin-Walled Doubly Curved Shells, V.I. Weingarten and P. Seide. NASA Space Vehicle Design Criteria (Structures), NASA SP-8032, 1969.
- Shell Buckling Design Criteria Based on Manufacturing Imperfection Signatures, M.W. Hilburger, M.P. Nemeth and J.H. Starnes, Jr. NASA/TM-2004-212659, 2004.
- Simple Formulas and Results for Buckling- Resistance and Stiffness Design of Compression-Loaded Laminated-Composite Cylinders, M.P. Nemeth and M.M. Mikulas, Jr. NASA/TP-2009-215778, 2009.
- Nondimensional Parameters and Equations for Nonlinear and Bifurcation Analyses of Thin Anisotropic Quasi-Shallow Shells, M.P. Nemeth. NASA/TP-2010-216726, 2010.
- A Treatise on Equivalent-Plate Stiffnesses for Stiffened Laminated-Composite Plates and Plate-Like Lattices, M.P. Nemeth. NASA/TP-2011-216882, 2011.
- An In-Depth Tutorial on Constitutive Equations for Elastic Anisotropic Materials, M.P. Nemeth. NASA/TM-2011-217314, 2011.
- Buckling Imperfection Sensitivity of Axially Compressed Orthotropic Cylinders, M.R. Schultz and M.P. Nemeth. 51st AIAA Structures Conference, April, 2010.
- An Exposition on the Nonlinear Kinematics of Shells, Including Transverse Shearing Deformations, Michael P. Nemeth. NASA/TM-2013-217964, February 2013.
- Classic Papers:
- The Small Free Vibrations and Deformation of a Thin Elastic Shell, A. E. H. Love. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, A, Vol. 179, pp. 491-546, 1888.
- Handbook of Structural Stability, Part I: Buckling of Flat Plates, George Gerard and Herbert Becker. NACA Technical Note 3781, July 1957.
- Handbook of Structural Stability, Part II: Buckling of Composite Elements, Herbert Becker. NACA Technical Note 3782, July 1957.
- Handbook of Structural Stability, Part III: Buckling of Curved Plates and Shells, George Gerard and Herbert Becker. NACA Technical Note 3783, August 1957.
- Handbook of Structural Stability, Part IV: Failure of Plates and Composite Elements, George Gerard. NACA Technical Note 3784, August 1957.
- Handbook of Structural Stability, Part V: Compressive Strength of Flat Stiffened Panels, George Gerard. NACA Technical Note 3785, August 1957.
- Handbook of Structural Stability, Part VI: Strength of Stiffened Plates and Shells, Herbert Becker. NACA Technical Note 3786, July 1958.
- Handbook of Structural Stability, Part VII: Strength of Thin-Wing Construction, George Gerard and Herbert Becker. NASA Technical Note D-162, September 1959.
- Model Investigations of Unstiffened and Stiffened Circular Shells, L.A. Harris, H.S.Suer, and W.T. Skene. Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 1 No. 7, 1961.
- The Effect of Initial Imperfections on the Buckling Stress of Cylindrical Shells, C.D. Babcock and E.E. Sechler. NASA Technical Note D-2005, July 1963.
- Buckling of Eccentrically Stiffened Orthotropic Cyclinders, David L. Block, Michael F. Card, and Martin M. Mikulas, Jr. NASA Technical Note D-2960, August 1965.
- Experimental and Theoretical Results for Buckling of Eccentrically Stiffened Cylinders, Michael F. Card and Robert M. Jones. NASA Technical Note D-3639, October 1966.
- Buckling of Stiffened Cylinders in Axial Compression and Bending—A Review of Test Data, James P. Peterson. NASA Technical Note D-5561, December 1969.
- Postbuckling theory, J. W. Hutchinson and W. T. Koiter. Applied Mechanics Reviews, pp. 1353–1366, 1970.